Kampnagel Sommerfestival Foto: Anja Beutler
Call for Applications 2023
The call for applications for Exile Today – Artistic Production Residencies and performances in 2023 has begun. Applications are open until October 30, 2022. Innovative artistic formats are sought that show the topic of exile in its complexity on stage.
What are we seeking to support?
The residency aims to support the production or creation and subsequent performance of either new stage works or existing works adapted for the local context in the genres of theatre and performance or dance. Production and performance will take place at Kampnagel Hamburg. Funding is provided for artistic projects by exiled and non-exiled persons that deal thematically with exile from a contemporary perspective. The experiences of politicalrepression, resistance, persecution and expulsion are to be given space and heard. But also the arrival in a new country, the preoccupation with identity and the relationship to the country of exile as well as thoughts on the theoretical and political significance of exile in society are topics that can be taken up and processed in the works, as well as the political, activist and/or artistic development of potential in exile.
Who can apply?
This is an international call for proposals primarily addressed atartists with their own or family's experience of exile. Due to the reality of their lives, artists living in exile have the knowledge and experience of living in different societies; precisely because of their multi-layered identities and their transnational character, they are in a position to become a motor of development for countries of origin and host countries. However, artists without their own experience of exile, who nevertheless deal with the subject of exile, are also motivated to submit applications.Awards will be made to artists working with innovative aesthetics and formats in the genres of theatre and performance or dance.We explicitly welcome applications from people of all genders, with disabilities, Black, Indigenous and People of Color.
Conditions for application
By submitting an application, the artist(s) undertake to develop and present the artistic proposal contained therein. The stage work must be given its world or German premiere at Kampnagel or as a site-specific performance within the City of Hamburg. Where possible, the work should be performed in its entirety at least three times.
The artist(s) shall also develop a proposal for a programme of public information to accompany the production. This will be realised during the rehearsal period in cooperation with Kampnagel and Körber-Stiftung. This may include workshops, podium discussions, publications (flyers, video), or open rehearsals, but should not place an excessive burden of work on the artistic personnel. The intention of this side programme is to raise public awareness for the topic of exile while at the same time granting an interested public insights into the processes of artistic creation and rehearsal.
Two works will be selected for 2023, with the first to be performed in August 2023, in the context of the International Summer Festival; the second in fall 2023, and thus at the beginning of the new season of Kampnagel.
The one to six weeks of production and rehearsal time in Hamburg must be planned to correspond with the specified performance period, a proposal should be included in the application and will be discussed and fine-tuned with the Kampnagel staff later on.
What does the award encompass?
Each selected project will be provided with the following support
- A grant of up to €25,000 for the production and presentation of the work as well as the programme of public information. This grant can be used to fund the project in its entirety or to complement existing funding. Where additional sources of funding are included in the proposal, they must have already been secured at the time of application.
- In consultation: the use of a rehearsal studio at Kampnagel for a period of one to six weeks for development, creation and/or adaptation of the chosen project.
- Where required: travel of all necessary artistic personnel to and from Hamburg.
- In consultation: accommodation for all necessary artistic personnel for the duration of their work in Hamburg.
- Technical support in creating and realising the production by Kampnagel Hamburg.
- Support by Kampnagel curators/dramaturgical staff.
Conditions and Tender Text
To apply, please send the following documents in German or English, assembled into one single PDF file by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed application form
- A brief project proposal of no more than 3,600 characters (including spaces)
- Your answers to the questions: What is the relationship of the artist(s)/group to the topic of EXILE TODAY? What motivates your engagement with this topic? Who does the project address? (max. 1,800 characters including spaces)
- A sketch of your proposal forthe public information programme: How do you intend to communicate your aesthetic approaches, artistic language, and, last but not least, political views to the Hamburg public? (max. 1,800 characters including spaces)
- A rough project schedule (phases, timeline) including details of any transport and accommodation requirements the schedule entails (max. 1,800 characters including spaces)
- A detailed budget and financing plan in € (columns for income and expenditure)
By submitting these documents, the applicants agree to the processing of their personal data for purposes of evaluation by the project partners, Kampnagel and Körber-Stiftung.
The deadline for applications is October 30, 2022 (23:59 CET)
The selected artists* will be notified about the invitation to the residency by mid to end of November.
Selection of successful applicants will be made by a jury of five persons, consisting of two representatives of Kampnagel (Corinna Humuza and Uta Lambertz), two of Körber-Stiftung (Stephanie Lubbe and Dr. Sonja Wimschulte) and the author Ronya Othmann as an external expert on the theme.